St. Joseph

  • Welcome to St. Joseph Catholic Church, Edgerton, WI!

    The early formation of our present church owes its early roots to the people who established Saint Michael the Archangel Parish along the banks of the Yahara River in the town of Porter in 1842. They came from a place of hunger and adversity. The fertile lands offered a new life and hope. The
    railroad brought unexpected growth and an opportunity for the community of Edgerton. There was a great need for a Catholic parish and Saint Joseph Congregation was formed to respond to that need.

    Over the years, three St. Joseph Churches were built for worship and celebration of the faith life of the Catholic Community of Edgerton. The first St. Joseph Catholic Church was built in 1859 on Lord Street and was
    served by several priests. In 1870, the Parish of St. Joseph was formed with Fr. James Butler as the first resident pastor. This location served the Catholic community for 44 years.

    In 1903, the decision was made to erect a new church that led the way for the building of the “red brick church” on Swift Street and construction began that summer. The dedication of the new St. Joseph Church took place on Tuesday, May 31, 1904, with imposing ceremonies in the presence of the
    largest assembly of clergy ever before gathered in the city. Father James Harlin was the longest serving pastor at this location: forty-one years, from 1895-1936. The faithful gathered here for 60 years until a larger church needed to be built to accommodate the growing number of parishioners.

    Our present building is the third site. In 1963, under the direction of Fr. Wayne Turner and Ed Sweeney, our current church was completed. The building is extraordinarily unique. The church’s octagonal design and layout are rich in symbolism and meaning from the granite altar and pulpit, the built-in confessionals, and the faith formation classrooms.

    Many of the liturgical furnishings relocated from the red brick church adorn the current sanctuary and nave: the gold tabernacle, the ornate sanctuary lamp, and the remarkable stations of the cross. Two impressive stained-glass windows flank the marble baptismal font in the main entry of the narthex: St. John at the foot of Jesus’ Crucifixion and St. Rose of Lima. 

    With all its history and tradition, it is our home to celebrate life, love, nourishment, strengthening, healing, and new life in Christ. Our faithful parishioners not only serve the congregation, but the community by
    supporting the Edgerton Community Outreach organization, the Edgerton School
    District students, the residents of the Edgerton Care Center and the local
    Meals on Wheels program. We also support the Rock County Pregnancy Helpline and provide a location for Red Cross Blood drives.

    We believe that Saint Joseph Catholic Church offers a place of new life and hope in Christ Jesus. To long established families: this is home for us. To new members: welcome home!

  • Saint Joseph is our patron and model of faith. Devoted to family and faith we implore his prayerful assistance in our daily lives.
  • Above: Saint Joseph is our patron and model of faith. Devoted to family and
    faith we implore his prayerful assistance in our daily lives.
  • Below: The three cornerstones give the history of Saint Joseph Congregation. One built upon the other.
  • The three cornerstones give the history of Saint Joseph Congregation. One built upon the other.